Thursday, December 26, 2013

IT"S OVER......TILL NEXT YEAR !

Christmas morning here on the ridge dawned bright and clear, but the temps were just above freezing.
I was glad to see that it was clear, so that the kids that got new bikes, and outdoor whutzits could enjoy them.

I was raised in S.W. Michigan, the land of lake effect snow. I can recall that one year I wanted a new sled for Christmas. My old one was a hand me down, and the nails on the seat would rip the seat of your pants pretty good. Well, I got one, but that was the only year I can remember, that we did not have snow and what was there, was patchy. The paint on the runners, until it was worn off, slowed the sled down to a snails pace. Sliding on the patches was not bad until you hit the dirt, then every thing came to an abrupt stop, including yourself!

A few weeks ago, I was explaining to my Tennessee grand kids, what I did in the winter time in Michigan when I was a kid. I mentioned that a toboggan, on a long hill was a great ride. They both looked at me like I was nuts! Quickly, I realized that a toboggan, here in Tennessee is a wool, pull over cap! I also told them about walking a mile through the snow to go to school, but I could see the B.S. alarm was about to go off, so we changed the subject!

Sometime between now and the first of the year, we have to pack up what Christmas stuff we put out, and get it back out to the plunder house. Thank goodness, we did not go over the edge like several of the neighbors, boy have they got a job ahead of them!

This morning we had to go to Wally*World for a few items. The place really looked picked over.
There were people snatching up wrapping paper by the basket full. I was thinking that they are pretty optimistic, that next year they will have something to wrap, with the economy and job situation going down hill the way it is. Who knows what surprises lie in store for us?

Well, it's over. The best part was being with family. They are all well, and doing fine, what more could an old man ask for!

No comments:

Post a Comment