Thursday, May 19, 2011

Pink Flamingo's

Here lately, it seems like all of my time has been taken up with doctor visits! Just the usual check ups that they seem to require. Last week when I was waiting my turn to see the doctor, I started looking around the waiting room, man, those people are old I thought, then I remembered the old guy in the mirror looking back at me as I was shaving that morning. It's strange how you don't picture yourself as getting on in age.
I kind of equate going to the doctor about like taking your car in for the check ups in order to keep the car in warranty. The car can be running perfectly, and you can bet your bottom dollar they will find something to repair, about the same with the medical community! I have to give the medical folks credit though for a job well done, otherwise, I'd be pushing up daiseys by now!
On another subject, I had to go and buy another gas can for the mower. I thought I'd  zip into WallyWorld and pick one up. I wanted a steel gas can like I had, but found nothing but plastic cans, no steel. So passing them up, I went to ACE Hardware and the friendly folks explained that steel cans were no longer made for gas! Come to find out some jerk in the UPA thought they were too dangerous for home use and let too many fumes into the atmosphere, so plastic is the relacement with a filler cap that is almost impossable to get to work right. Boy, now that's progress, huh!
It's flower planting time here on the ridge, so made the pilgramage to the nursery with the wife.
Came home with the pick up loaded with annuals to plant in the beds. What is it with old geezers and flowers? Reminds me of a story...My brother in law used to live in a very exclusive neighborhood in Georgia. All kinds of covenants on what you could and couldn't do with your yard. I happened to find a bunch of those God-awful pink flamingos someone was throwing away, and the wheels started turning!!
The next Sunday we were there for a visit, and I covertly placed the pink flamingo's in his flower beds! (sorry Andy, mauve flamingo's)
The next day, I got a rather heated phone call from him. It was a true "gotcha" moment!!! It is  amazing the crap people put in their front yards. I recently drove by a clawfoot bath tub standing on end with a statue of the Virgin Mary enscounced there in! I still don't know what to think about that, is there a message there?

No comments:

Post a Comment